Need help selecting the right PHP/MySQL web applications

mclamais

Need help selecting the right web applications.

I have a friend that needs a site with the following features and I'm having trouble finding the right tool(s) for him.  I would like to purchase one or more commercial applications or use something available in open source.

I would like to find something integrated and easy enough to use so my friend can update his own site without too much hassle.

Please share the name of PHP applications you work with or you know that might meet his needs. 

Thanks for your time,

Marc

His company publishes a little free magazine that sells print advertising.

He is looking for the following features on his web site

Ability to post Articles, and allow readers to post comments.  This are likely to be articles from his publication.

Event Calendar, to display community events related to his advertisers

Business Directory: A directory of his advertisers (basically offering his print advertisers the ability to have a listing on his website)  Listing would need to be categorized and searchable.

Ad Manage software, for displaying and tracking text and image ad banners thought out the site.

You might get away with using something as lightweight as Wordpress along with some of its add-ons. Else something a bit more heavyweight, like Joomla, might be a good start to get something up and running out of the box.

Wordpress is very simple to use and easy-ish to customise features if you can't find add-ons that do the job you need. Joomla comes with more out of the box but is much harder (IMO) to customise when you can't find add-ons and is not as user friendly.

Thanks, I was thinking WP as well, but I was not sure if I could find all the features needed with available add-ons.

I don't have any real experience with Joomla, and while I would expect it to have the necessary add-ons, I don't think it wound be easy enough for him to use.

Do you have any experience with Drupal? 

nope - but the learning curve is much much higher and, IMO, the interface in general is definitely not for everyone, especially straight out of the box.

thing is with WP is that whilst you might not find a plugin you need, it's not too tricky to learn - I guess it depends on your PHP level, to be honest. WP would definitely be the easiest of the lot to get it playing ball, but by all means have a look around Joomla/Drupal's add-on repository to see if you can find what you need.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.