I then use another function to call the above function, works fine

Structure likes this

function 1() {
     function 2() {
                     function 3() {}
   }
}

function 4() {function 1()}

now, lets say I execute function 4, in turn I am executing function 1,2,3 simultaniously. I want to put something in function 2 and 3 where as if a condition is met it stops everything dead.

So, if I do something like die() in function 2, function 3 will never execute and anything else in function 4 will not be executed either

I know I can use return false and then in each of the functions check the return, but I dont want to have to pass the return down the ladder of functions and also, this wont work as I use AJAX to get content from urls, which can take 3 seconds, in which time everything else has already finished executing and the die()/return false is determined by the content from the URL

I really do need the javascript equivelent to php's die()

You shouldn't just bail out of a script like that.  You're better off setting a flag somewhere in the first function that trickles down to the other functions where necessary.  It would take a millisecond to filter through the functions if the first thing you do is check that flag.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.