Client does not support authentication protocol...

benphp

"Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

I upgraded from MySQL 4 to 5 and everything was fine for about a week. On Monday, I get the error above. From what I've read, this is the oldpassword/new password hash error that I can fix in about 2 minutes on my server. However, this is on a Parcom server (web hosting), and Parcom has been sloooowww to react.

Can anyone think of another reason why this would be coming up? It's running fine on 3 other PCs that I run as a backup. I've dropped the database twice and rebuilt it twice, still with the same error. Ditto for the user/pass.

Any ideas?

Yeah - I'm dying a slow death while Parcom takes its time fixing this. It died on Monday morning. I've read the first 50 web pages that mention this error, and they ALL have the same fix. It would take them 2 minutes to fix by running

UPDATE mysql.user

SET password=OLD_PASSWORD('yourpassword')

WHERE user='[usertobeupdated]'

AND host='[yourhost]';

There is no other reason for this error. Parcom didn't get back to me all of Monday, and Tuesday morning they said it was an error in my code - their standard answer to everything, I'm sure. They don't respond to my emails and don't read them - I've sent them this fix several times, and they still do nothing and don't respond.

If this were a revenue-creating website, I'd be climbing the walls. It makes me think twice about using them for ecommerce. I have two clients' websites hosted there that are money makers, and I'm beginning to regret my decision to host them there. It's sad really - they've been pretty good in the past, with small problems. Hit them with a problem that their tier 1 support staff can't handle, and they drop the ball.

Sorry for the rant.

The odd thing is that I upgraded MySQL from 4 to 5 a week and a half ago, but this error pops up after several days of no trouble at all. It should have been an issue immediately.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.