Problems with subquerys

devnill

I am having an issue in PHP where I keep getting errors when i try to run multiple queries using a single mysql_query(). I don't know if this is possible, but at this point I am assuming it is not because single queries run fine.

For what I am making, I need to either run 2 simultaneous queries, or use a subquery, but when I do that, the results are totally different. My query should be returning one row, but when the subquery runs, it never returns any rows at all? I am pretty sure this has to do with the order that the queries run, but I have no idea how to fix this. Any ideas?

Below is the before and after of my SQL when I use subqueries and 2 separate one:

Two seperate queries:

SELECT

CEILING(RAND()*COUNT(libNum))

INTO @randLib

FROM finishedLibs;

SELECT finishedLibs.finLib, madlibTemplates.madlib

FROM finishedLibs, madlibTemplates

WHERE madlibTemplates.mid = finishedLibs.mid

AND finishedLibs.libNum=@randLib

Single query with a subquery:

SELECT finishedLibs.finLib, madlibTemplates.madlib

FROM finishedLibs, madlibTemplates

WHERE madlibTemplates.mid = finishedLibs.mid

AND finishedLibs.libNum=(SELECT CEILING(RAND()*COUNT(libNum)) FROM finishedLibs)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.