I Have a server... now what?

jesushax

HI all, hopefully this is the right thread, but what im after doing is:

host my own websites on a server (which i have)

PHP installed

MYSQL installed

host my own domains

host email accounts specific with those domains

have it all secure

bascailly im setting up my own web company, money not a cost, i havea  server now just software needed and the how toos

Thanks for any assistance

Well, the easiest way would be to get some webhosting automation software... i.e.,

Blesta, ClientExec, iHost, iPanel, Lpanel, phpCoin, SolidBill, Ubersmith, WHMAP, Whois.Cart, AccountLab Plus, AWBS, DHCart, eJadSPM, Freelancer Panel, ModernBill, WHMCS

Lots to choose from, don't forget to get a business license, FEIN, bank account, merchant account, paypal account, google checkout account and have plenty of money to sink into marketing and advertising in an already saturated market...

That's all assuming that you're doing your own web design and programming...

I've done this a couple times... LOL

bascailly im setting up my own web company, money not a cost, i havea  server now just software needed and the how toos

If you really don't know what software you need to install, how can you expect to build a secure server environment? I mean seriously, good server admins are hard to come by for a reason, years of experience.

Its really not something you should attempt without knowing what your doing. I'd suggest you hire yourself a good admin.

well im more than willing to learn, myself, just my director wanted to know costs onto how we could set up our own server to offer such a solution.

so the list of software above is a start?

its just costing you see, if i belive it to be out of my depth ill suggest hiring staff

Thanks for your inptu though :)

been looking at those examples, they all seem to be web host related software, i dont want to be a web host sorry if that was unclear

i just would like to know what software i need installing on the server for php pages to run, mysql to run, phpmyadmin

and how i would add a domain to my server so we can also offer clients email facilities

so im building the websites putting them on our server which we want to add mutliple domains pointing to correct websites and email accounts for each client

is this easier then what you thought i had in mind before?

THanks

i just would like to know what software i need installing on the server for php pages to run, mysql to run, phpmyadmin

Apache, PHP and Mysql.

Email gets a little more complicated, assuming your using Linux you'll want to look into Postfix.

how exactly would i purchase domains on a clients behalf and have the url pointed to the correct folder on my server?

then using postfix id be able use each clients domain and set up mutliple mail accounts and manage them securely and simply?

Thanks for your help :)

how exactly would i purchase domains on a clients behalf and have the url pointed to the correct folder on my server?

Domains are handled by DNS, this service is normally provided by your domain name provider.

As for handling different sites, you'll want to look into configuring virtual hosts (vhosts) under Apache. The process is quite simple.

then using postfix id be able use each clients domain and set up mutliple mail accounts and manage them securely and simply?

Securely, yes if configured properly. Simply, not exactly. You could easily script the process however.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.