[SOLVED] check file size

jaymc

I believe in php 5.2 there is a new parametre to return the temp file location of a file upload, for example

/tmp/4gvb4t5gFdfs

This gives the ability to probe that file at intervales to check file size, which in turn tells us how much has uploaded...

I want to create a live upload status/loading bar, for example, 57% complete

For that, I need to know the TOTAL file size so I can do

TOTAL_SIZE - UPLOADED_SO_FAR = mb remaining

I know javascript cant do this without installing active x etc, is there a way in PHP to read the initial headers or something to get the file size?

How is it possible to give a % of uploaded/remaining

I can tell the user how much they have uploaded.. but someone who is not computer lit wont know if uploaded so far = 4.7mb means they are roughly 5% through uploading a 100mb file..

I need some way to let them know the status of upload, not how much they have uploaded

Checkout the tutorial code at the link I posted (once you find where the link to the code is on that page). It displays percent (current/total * 100)

APC is a PECL extension and it requires installation on the server if it is not already present.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.