Spaces in Listbox

romay

Hello all,

I am new here and fairly new to PHP so please bear with me. Here is my situation I have a Listbox being populated from a MySQL database loading last name. first name, user name, and user level which works great. Here is what I am trying to do now, I would like everything spaced out evenly for ease of use explample:

What it shows in the list box now is

LastnameFirstnameUsernameUserlevel (this is all together with no spaces)

what I would like it to show is:

Lastname      Firstname      Username      Userlevel

I have tried using &nbsp and a couple of other things but to no avail

here is the code that I am using:

$query = "SELECT * FROM security";

$result = mysql_query($query);

// print "<SELECT name= 'Listbox1' Class='purplebox'>";

print "<OPTION value='$security'"; //This row loading the option previously selected

print ">$security</OPTION>"; //This too, if it is not an update you dont need these two

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC))

{

echo "<OPTION value='".$row['security']."'>­ ".$row['last_name'],$row['first_name'],$row['username'],$row['userlevel'] .'</OPTION>';

}

?>

</select>

I have googled the quite a bit but found nothing that worked

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you so much for your help, it was driving me crazy. One more question lets say I have a username that contains 20 characters and one that say contains 5 characters, I would like to have the userlevel all lined up could you point me in the right direction to start with. I am thinking I will have to use some type of LEN command to add the 5 with 15 spaces so every thing will be even and lined up. If this is not correct could you tell me the command I may have to use.

Thanks Again,

Romay

Hello all,

Here is a change I made to try and make all data line up but this is not working not sure why though,

$padded_last_name = str_pad($row['last_name'], 20);   

$padded_first_name = str_pad($row['first_name'], 20);

$padded_user_name = str_pad($row['username'], 10);

$padded_user_level = str_pad($row['userlevel'], 10);

echo "<OPTION value=\"".$row['security']."\">­".$padded_last_name." ".$padded_first_name." ".$padded_user_name." ".$padded_user_level."</OPTION>";

Thanks Again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.