[SOLVED] debugging script - syntax confusion

kate_rose

Someone over in the mysql help section suggested that I have incorrect syntax in the snippet of code below.  I have always used the periods and double quotes to put a php variable into a mysql query but I am very new at this so maybe it does need to be changed.  Specifically I am refereding to the $savetodb variable syntax.  I am trying to send a serialized array to a mysql db.

<?php
$query = "INSERT INTO serialized_data(key, serialized) VALUES ('picstorage','". $savetodb ."')";
?>

Thanks,

Kate

The syntax looks correct to me.  You could try adding a space after 'serialized_data'.  so..

<?php
$query = "INSERT INTO serialized_data (key, serialized) VALUES ('picstorage','". $savetodb ."')";
?>

Also make sure the field in the database if of a type capable of storing what you are trying to store.  And try to include any error messages you are getting.

Here is the code at least the part I am having trouble with.

<?php
$savetodb = (serialize($picstorage));		//convert picstorage into a sqlinput string
echo $savetodb;
$query = "INSERT INTO serialized_data (key, serialized) VALUES ('picstorage','". $savetodb ."')";  
mysql_query($query);
?> 

As far as i know the "serialized_data" part of the query is the part of the INSERT command which tells mysql which table to use.

The database column is set to mediumtext but this is a rather big array.  I will try setting it to accept larger strings.

Anyway I am getting no error message at all.  It all looks fine but when I go look in the serialized_data table nothing has been added.

The echo $savetodb is returning the serialized array with no problem so it has to be in the query I think.

k- ???

The string I am saving does have backslashes & stuff in it.  Would that make a difference?

Oh thats handy.  Sorry I didn't know about that before.

The error I get is

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'key, serialized) VALUES ('picstorage','a:308:{i:0;s:36:"Acanthaceae\Asystasia_ga' at line 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.