Help!

gladius of rome

I don't understand why I need a host though, if I have Apache and I make a folder called forum, why do I need a host? I thought you can put the forum sofware into that folder ???

If this forum is for public use, you should purchase a domain name.

I don't understand why I need a host though, if I have Apache and I make a folder called forum, why do I need a host? I thought you can put the forum sofware into that folder ???

A host is a computer. When you "get a host" that means you pay someone and they let you use some of the space on their computer, use some of the programs on their computer, allow a certain amount of "traffic" (bandwidth) etc..

Apache is a program that runs on the host, to allow people to for instance, go to your website. It turns a regular computer into a "server" as in, it "serves" files etc.. to people who request something from it. 

So in order to have a webpage up, you need a host with server software on it (apache is the most popular choice atm), and  if you want your forum script to run, you need the software that parses it installed on the host also (like asp, php, perl, cgi, etc..). 

You can set all this up on your own computer if you want, and have people access your webpage by directly accessing your computer.  There are "all-in-one" packages out there like wamp and xampp that have everything you need for a basic server setup, including apache, php, mysql (database) and they practically install themselves right out the box. 

A lot of developers like to setup something like that on their own computer for developing/testing their stuff, but there are a lot of advantages to having someone host your site for you to consider.

well I suggest you check out your current site's stats.  Look at how much diskspace you are using and the rate at which it is growing, how much bandwidth on average your site uses, etc.. I really don't know what kind of server access invisionfree offers but you may have some kind of cpanel with an awestats type program to give you info like that, or maybe you can contact them and ask.  But you should probably look at those numbers to figure out what package best suits you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.