Simple function cal inside function

colombian

I am stuck on something terribly simple, but Google isn't helping.

How do I call a function inside another function in PHP5? It says the function is undefined.

<?php
function a() {
    echo "a";
}
function b() {
    a();
}

?>

When calling function b it says a is undefined. I was sure that all function scope was global.

Thanks in advance.

just a little point: when naming functions, make it meaningful, a() and b() does not look so healthy. I dont get what is wrong with your code but you can try these:

<?php
function displayText() {
	echo "I am calling a function!";
}

function callDisplay() {
	displayText();
}

callDisplay();
?>

Well good to know, I thought I was going crazy.

The function is basically that - however, it's inside a CAKEPHP application. I am just starting to get familiar with CAKEPHP, so there must be something going on that's preventing it from happening.

I just tested it outside CAKE and it does work fine...

If you know cake...

It's inside a controller, I need two very similar functions, so I am using one function and passing the 1 parameter to both. The error is the normal: "Fatal error: call to undefined function....."  and it specifies the line number where I am calling function a inside function b.

No wonder why google wasn't of help, I'll go delve into CAKE - thanks again,

I was sure that all function scope was global.

No, a function's scope is limited to where it was declared at.  If it is declared in the global namespace, then, yes, it is global.  However, if it is declared in a class, it it not global, but local to the class.

If cakePHP is anything like Zend, and assuming you are using your posted code in a view script, then it is probably evaluated code inside the view class...try calling the function using the $this-> nomenclature....

<?php
function a() {
    echo "a";
}
function b() {
    $this->a();
}

?>

The worst that will happen is nothing.

It is inside the class, and it is being used in that class, but somehow it is still complaining.

I'll post the answer here at some point in the next few days.

The real function names are descriptive - I've been doing PHP for a while, it's CAKE that was tripping me.

Thanks for the responses.

I don't use cake so this may be way off the mark, but it may also work for you.

Depending on how you are calling function b will depends how you need to define it in the class file.

if your calling it in like

$objectName = new object();
$objectName->b();

then hitman6003s response should work fine, however if you call the function like

object::b();

you will need to define the function as follows

function a() {
    echo "a";
}

function b() {
    self::a();
}

hope this helps

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.