some PHP project advice?

dimitris

Hi everybody,

I'm new in the world of PHP and I want to ask the following: what do you think is an acceptable level of knowledge of the language that can make me confident in starting looking for a job as a PHP programmer? I have mainly used C/C++ and Common Lisp in the past, but if I'm having a difficulty to persuade any possible employer that I can code in PHP with no previous experience (obviously eh?). So, I was thinking about completing a task or small project on my own that can make clear my abilities in coding. Any suggestions or ideas would be really helpful for me.

Also, since most of the employers are looking for knowledge not only of PHP but other languages as well like JavaScript, a task or project that combines PHP with other skills could be even better.

Dimitris

Having a portfolio counts more than having a certain "level" of understanding.  Learn the basics through tutorials/books/looking in the manual. 

Go to freelancer type sites and look at what kind of jobs/projects are posted.  Read the description.  If you feel you can handle it, put a bid on it. 

If you feel you can't, then read some more tutorials and books and stuff.  Or maybe take one of those postings on as a personal project to learn on. That is, you don't post a bid, but decide hey, people are asking for things like shopping carts, etc.. so why don't I try to make one myself? 

Go back and read more postings. Maybe you'll find one you feel you can do.  Wash rinse, and repeat.  Eventually you will feel up to the task to bid on something for real.  Bid on it.  Do it.  Add it to your portfolio.  Make a website offering your services, showcasing your portfolio.

Come to places like phpfreaks.com and help out.  Help answer people's questions.  Focus on the ones you know, to keep your skills sharp.  Focus on the ones you don't know so you can learn something. 

Write tutorials.  Write articles. Write a blog about things.  Post them on your site.  Submit them to others.  All these things are what you would list on your resume to employers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.