variable help please

-entropyman

Hello all,

as you can tell i am still very new at php. i am learning from a book i bought. now i have run across a problem and would like your help.

i am just doing the simple hi user exercise but i cannot figure out what is going wrong. i enter a name in the text field and hit submit but on the next page it just says "Hi there, !"

http://entropy.vndv.com/learning/chapter_2/whatsName.html

as you can see you still enter a name in the text field and hit submit but on the next page it just says "Hi there, !"

any ideas?

thank you  :)

Without seeing the code you are using, its a bit difficult to help you there.

Double check that you've not made a mistake with your variable, and note that it is case sensitive. You could have something like:

$userName = $_POST['userName'];

If you're still stuck, we need to see your code. Dont forget to place

tags around it.

p.s. Welcome to the forum

well thank you mate, but i now get this error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /www/vndv.com/e/n/t/entropy/htdocs/learning/chapter_2/hiUser.php on line 11

before i was just using $userName - the code i am testing is straight outta my learning book.

here is the code

<html>
<head>
<title>Hi User</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Hi User</h1>
<h3>PHP program that receives a value from "whatsName"</h3>

<script language = "php"> 

print "<h3>Hi there, $_POST['userName']!</h3>";

</script>

</body>
</html>

any ideas?  thanks in advance  ;)

and thank you for the welcome  :D

The book you're using assumed that global variables are turned on which hasn't been the default for over 5 years.

If you had posted the original script, then we could have given you the correct line.

You need to do

<?[php
print "<h3>Hi there, {$_POST['userName']}!</h3>";
?>

Also the more accepted way of entering/exiting PHP code blocks is with "<?php ?>", not "<script language = "php"> </script>".

Please buy a more up to date book. If you learn from the one you have, you will probably learn old & insecure programming methods.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.