Parse error

kpetsche20

Here the error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ',' or ';' in /home/webmaste/public_html/cuz/articles.php on line 29

Here the code

<?php  
	  $sql = "SELECT * FROM articles";
	  $run = mysql_query($sql);
	  while($data = mysql_fetch_array($run))
	  {
	  echo "<a href=\"index.php?p=articles&name=".data['name']."\">".data['name']."</a>";
	  }
	   ?>

try this

<?php  
	  $sql = "SELECT * FROM articles";
	  $run = mysql_query($sql) or die ("error in query " . mysql_error()); //just in case you query is duff
	  while($data = mysql_fetch_assoc($run))
	  {
	  echo "<a href=\"index.php?p=articles&name=".$data['name']."\">".$data['name']."</a>";
	  }
	   ?>

if you are using fetch_array you have to use the numbered key of the data you wish to get (i.e $data[1]), using fetch_assoc allows you to use the name of the column for the data(i.e $data['name']), but either way unless you use $data it wont understand you are calling for information from an array object

hope that helps

if you are using fetch_array you have to use the numbered key of the data you wish to get (i.e $data[1]), using fetch_assoc allows you to use the name of the column for the data(i.e $data['name'])

Not true.. I'm not 100% sure of the difference between fetch_array and fetch_assoc. However I do know that I use fetch_array all the time and I call with the field names; not numbers.

Wouldn't wanna get the newbs confused as soon as they come here, now would we.

P.S. kpetsche20, you're just missing the $ in front of your data array as stated in the first reply.

--

DJ

fetch_array returns both a numerical and associative array, so for example in his code he has a column named 'name'. So if we were to do this:

<?php  
   $sql = "SELECT name, id FROM articles";
   while($data = mysql_fetch_array($run)) {
      $list[] = $data;
   }

foreach($list as $key => $val) {
   echo "key: $key val: $val <br />";
}

The output would look like this:

key: 0 val: John
key: name val: John
key: 1 val: James
key: name val: James
key: 2 val: Joe
key: name val: Joe
// etc...

As you can see, using fetch_array will return a merged numerical and associative array.  fetch_row returns just a numerical array (0,1,2...) fetch_assoc returns just an associative array ('name' ...)

And now for a bit of overkill: fetch_array accepts an optional 2nd argument to specify that you want just a numerical or associative array returned, making it in essence, just like fetch_row or fetch_assoc

okay well that's not entirely accurate: the foreach wouldn't return it that way.

<?php  
   $sql = "SELECT name, id FROM articles";
   while($data = mysql_fetch_array($run)) {
      $list[] = $data;
   }

foreach($list as $key => $val) {
   echo "key: $key val: $val <br />";
}

$list would be a 2d array. each element on the first level would coincide with the row returned from your query.  On the 2nd level, you will have a 2 element array: first element will be the numerical index, 2nd element will be the associative index. Both of them will hold the same value.

so if you did a nested foreach loop:

foreach ($list as $l) {
  foreach ($l as $key => $val) {
   echo "key: $key val: $val <br/>";
   }
}	 

output would be:

key: 0 val: John
key: name val: John
key: 0 val: James
key: name val: James
key: 0 val: Joe
key: name val: Joe 

Hope that clears it up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.