How does CodeIgniter and Kohana create functions at runtime?

HGeneAnthony

I was using Kohana (which is based on CodeIgniter but PHP5 oriented) and one thing I find interesting is how it can use functions that are generated at runtime.  For example, for it's ORM database frontend it wraps sql statements and creates functions using field names like find_by_name() where name is a field name.  It also gives you ways to access the field names like $user->name.  I can think of a few uses for this and I was wondering how they do this?  Is there a way to catch invalid function names with PHP and pass them to another function?  IE I  call find_by_name('gene') and the class sees the request and then passes the function name and argument to another function which then handles the event?  Any ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.