Terrible background noise on mixing desk...

indigobanana

Hey all!

I've been having a problem recording from our mixing desk, there is a really loud and constant background noise... even when every channel is turned off!! I checked the cable... its working absolutely fine.

Here's a sample to show you what I mean!

http://www.indigobanana.com/storage/mixingdesk-problems.mp3

Any ideas?? I do have 1 theory... perhaps its some kind of noise caused by a 'dirty' power supply?

Thanks! Jamie

Its a standard analog mixing desk... 12 channels, cant remember the make though!

It has 48v phantom power but that was definately switched off.

What's making me think dirty power was it was plugged into one of them 4-way extension cables (the round ones) with the cable coiled, and 3 other things including a keyboard and an amp plugged into it. The odd thing is that through the PA system you can't hear that noise! its very odd :/

Are you saying that noise is on the recording somewhere?

What's making me think dirty power was it was plugged into one of them 4-way extension cables (the round ones) with the cable coiled, and 3 other things including a keyboard and an amp plugged into it

Having the power lead still coiled up can reek havoc with this type of equipment and I would definitely not have anything else plugged in to the same power lead. it actually does sound allot like radio interference which is not uncommon for an amp to receive, maybe it also interfered with your desk.

Yes it is quite a bad setup, however we're limited for power sockets... so im not sure how that can be changed.

You mention radio interference... there is one wireless microphone, perhaps that has something to do with it? Although the noise still continued when i muted that channel (although i guess the wireless signal would still be transmitting)

As for aliens...  :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.