mencoder flv files too big

Yves

Hi people. I didn't know where to ask the following. If nobody can help please advise where I can ask this best.

I have created a video sharing site http://www.carbtube.com/ , did alot of customizations and have uploaded 4 videos at the moment. These videos are converted to flv files after upload, with mencoder. Problem is, the videos are converted into much larger files then the original video files:

video 1: orginal file -> 27MB | flv file -> 39MB

video 2: orginal file -> 14MB | flv file -> 41MB

video 3: orginal file -> 20MB | flv file -> 45MB

video 4: orginal file -> 37MB | flv file -> 80MB

Here's the piece of code that is important here: (line 135 in uploadvideo.php)

$encodecommand="$config[mencoder] $config[originalvdir]/$original -o $config[videodir]/".$videoid.".flv -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vbitrate=$config[vbitrate]:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3 -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -srate $config[sbitrate]";

The vbitrate is set to 7200

The sbitrate is set to 22050

I can also resize the videos if I want, but for now that function is disabled. No resizing going on.

Any idea what's making these videos too big? Should I resize the videos? Should I change some settings in the code above? Or would you advise modifications in the uploadvideo.php file that can calculate optimal settings for specific videos?

I hope someone will dedicate a bit of his time to this for me. Thanks in advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.