Help please! Port forwarding problem?

lainmaster

Hello people, this is my first time in this forum.

I really need help with something...

I have installed Apache in my home computer and set it up. It works perfectly from the localhost url, but if I try to access from my external IP (my router's IP) it shows my router's screen instead of my website.

The problem is that the ports are already forwarded, and it worked perfectly like any other website until a couple of weeks ago, when it stopped working just like that.

Right now, my port 88 is forwarded to IP .222, and I have set up my windows to use the static IP .222 for this computer (the one I use as the server).

I have uTorrent installed, and it says the uTorrent port is correctly forwarded. I also did the test with port 80, it says it's correctly forwarded too.

What should I do?

My Configuration...

UPnP: Enabled

UPnP Forwarding: 80 TCP to IP 222 Enabled

Router IP address: 192.168.1.1

Router IP address range: 192.168.1.100 to .150

My server's static IP: 192.168.1.222

By the way, I have also configured my firewall. But I also tried doing it with the firewall set to off, so firewall's got nothing to do with it.

I haven't got any other firewall installed - only the window's XP one.

Just in case, I'm using the computer with the Apache right now, and everyday. It works perfectly in internet, uTorrent works fine too. The only thing not working is what I mentioned: if I try to access to my server thru the external IP, it shows my router instead of my website.

Any help?

if I try to access to my server thru the external IP, it shows my router instead of my website.

Does this occure when you try and access your site from within the same lan? Your external ip address will not resolv correctly from within the lan unless you add an entry for it to your hosts file.

Yes, I am trying to access from the same computer that is the server... but, it worked perfectly like this in the past.

Plus, since I can access my router configuration from my external IP (ehmm, should I be saying this in public forums?)... it seems to be related to router configuration.

Otherwize, wouldn't it show a 404 Not Found or something like that?

I'm sorry I double post, but it didn't seem like I could EDIT the previous post and well...

Did you mean that I should just stick to using "localhost" or my internal IP because I know it works for others?

The thing is that I want to also be sure that it works for others, and I thought using the external IP would be a bit better..

By the way, what I am doing now used to work perfectly, but I just remembered my router's firmware was updated recently. This means that my router won't redirect back to an internal IP just because the guys chose it would be so?

Thanks, it worked. But... not as I expected...

The thing is that now it's evident that there's no DNS stuff going on. In the past, it would take like a second or two and firefox would say something like "looking for dns" as it does for any external website.

Any ideas?

Anyways, it's kinda stupid because it doesn't make any difference, I'm guessing that as long as the router and firewall are properly set, everyone will see what I see at localhost. But I'm very curious right now, because there was no hosts file in my computer before I created it just now, and yet, this used to work fine.

Anyway, thanks thorpe. You helped me out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.