PHP vs Perl

Brandito520

Well, I know this probably isn't the most logical forum to start a discussion of PHP vs Perl, but I don't know of another place to ask.  I am a new programmer, and need to find a language to learn and stick with.  So I am looking for some opinions on the pro's and con's of the two languages, if you use / have used both then thats even better.  A couple of things that have stood out to me are that Perl has been around since '87, is fully OO, and also that Perl is pretty much a prerequisite of a Linux server as common things like cPanel are written in Perl.

I am not real worried about one learning curve being longer than the other, but between the two I've heard that Perl is harder to learn.  Either way if Perl is harder to learn but will in the end be better to know, then I would rather learn it now than have to learn 2 languages.

Please no kool-aid "PHP Rules" or "Perl owns" responses, keep it constructive.

- Brandon

I don't know Perl but there is a very good chance anything you can do in one you can do in the other.  IMO it doesn't matter which one you learn because you will inevitably learn another language at some other point in time.  Programmers that know a single language (with some exceptions) are extinct or soon to be extinct.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.