Security

PHP Nubsauce

Hello all, pretty simple question ahead.

Currently under my php designed login system, we use a captcha code (one of those thingys where its a image of crazy random text and you have to enter it correctly to proceed), but alot of our clients are unhappy with this because the captcha is hard for even a real person to intrepet sometimes, and they end up entering it incorrectly...

I know a captcha is pretty good for a user sign-up form, but what about logging in?

We've tried doing the three strikes your out for 20 minutes technique - we got alot of complaints about this.

We've thought about a security question, but, woulden't just be one more string of charactors to break for a script? Making it still more unreliable then a captcha code.

Security can't be compromised, but were trying to get rid of the captcha on simple logins.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nubsauce.  8)

What exactly are you trying to secure against? Brute-force password attacks? I seriously doubt that would be viable given the delay in requesting a page. If you're really worried, then you could set the required number of failed login attemps quite high. If someone fails to log in, say, 10 times in a minute, they probably don't deserve to go on your site anyway.

It's usually just registration that I protect with a CAPTCHA.  After that, I don't see a need to protect it.  (If I think someone would think it was worth their time to try and brute force someone's account, I do like GingerRobot said, and I just set the threshhold high.)

I can't stand when I have to enter a CAPTCHA to login.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.