random 10-digit code

coolphpdude

<?php 
       $key_characters = '0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'; 
        $licence_length = 10 ;
        for($i=0;$i<$licence_length;$i++){
            $chr = $key_characters[rand(0,strlen($key_characters))];
            $number .= $chr ;
        }
?>

thats should do it  ;)

both ways work a treat. I've gone with dingus's code because it combines numbers and both upper and lowercase code so gives me more chance of it being unique. I just need to figure out the code now to check database to see if it exists and if it does stick it in a while loop to generate a different code.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

it may be somewhat unique (have a low collision rate), but it depends what its going to be used for. Let's say it's generated when you register, if I know roughly when you registered I could generate the possibilities...

And i've just noticed, your only using the first 10 chars of the sha, well then there's no guarantee that it'll be unique!!!

yeah, I noticed that if your generating a bunch at once, it will be the same.... but if your only using it once in a while as I am it is fine.

I am not using it for registration though..... I use it to pass a transaction to a gift card company and they pass it back. So if they match, then the transaction is valid if not I kill the transaction.

So, not the best solution for all situations, but it works for some.

:)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.