Web page updater

michaelpalmer7

Trust me, you don't want/need to be able to update a .htm, .php, .txt, etc file with just a textbox that will overwrite what you currently have. If someone else got ahold of it, it'd be done. The best way to do this(if you insist on not just modifying the files and uploading via ftp) is to have your site, and pages, database driven. So you basically would log into your site, pick which page you want to edit, then it'd display the html in a textarea and you'd edit, submit, and it'd update the page.

Hi

thanks for the info, however i am not that worried about the security issue as it is gonna be edited by anyone that reads it, a bit like wikipedia. so that side reall isnt a problem for me. Is there a way to do what i proposed?

many thanks

Security is a big deal, actually. Unless you don't care about XSS attacks or your site being hijacked and used to advertise illicit sites or farm passwords.

And yes, there is a way to do what you proposed... I'm confused though... do you want to do it via email? Or via a webform on the same server the 'modified' page is hosted on?

I don't suggesting doing this. You're going to need code on the server with the modifiable file ( we'll call this server 1 from now on ) anyways, you might as well put the form on that page... But if you don't you can simply submit to an 'action' page on server 1 that will modify the file for you.

Even if your site is like wikipedia, you've GOT to have it database driven because a) when new pages need to be created but more importantly b) if a user is screwing around(or accidently) and deletes everything on the page, you need a way to not only recover the data lost, but track which user made which changes. Or else you'll have some troll surf your site and delete all your pages and you have no idea who did it,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.