PHP with database searching

kdsxchris

I'm having a little trouble with approaching a database searching problem. Lets say I have a database abstraction layer that I plan to work with Mysql, Sqlite, Access, Oracle, etc. In addition, I need to search through the TEXT fields. These records could be huge, like posts you might see on a forums board. What is the best way to design a solution that will let me search (the most efficient way) through huge text records, but might be in mysql, sqlite, etc?

I have a sql class that lets me do queries and takes into account for differences between some database systems (like with "limit" and "like"). I could create a function that would return a link to a resource with the records. How different are major database sytems with indexing the text fields?

• 2 weeks later...

Searching large text fields in a big database may take up huge resources and have come across this many times.

In MYSQL you can create a fulltext index.

I would prefer to remove the search from the databases entirely and use something like Lucene. You can update your lucene search indexes when new records get added into whatever database.

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/

I think that the Zend framework also supports this

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.