[SOLVED] if statement

geroido

Hi

Can anyone help me with this. I'm new to PHP. I can't get the following if/else statment to work. I think it's a syntax error but can't find it.

<div class="meta">

if ($_SESSION['userchoice'] = 'order') || ($_SESSION['userchoice'] = 'book') || ($_SESSION['userchoice'] = 'drink')

{

<?include("usermap.php");?>

}

else

{

<?print $_SESSION['userchoice']?>

}

</div>

All I want at the moment is to include the usermap.php if the conditions are true or simply print the contents of the variable if not true. Currently it just print the code on the page but doesn't do anything.

thanks

<div class="meta">

<?php
         if (($_SESSION['userchoice'] == 'order') || ($_SESSION['userchoice'] == 'book') || ($_SESSION['userchoice'] == 'drink'))
         {
         include("usermap.php");
         }
         else
         {   
         print $_SESSION['userchoice'];
         }

?>
         </div>

Yours was:

<div class="meta">
         if ($_SESSION['userchoice'] = 'order') || ($_SESSION['userchoice'] = 'book') || ($_SESSION['userchoice'] = 'drink')
         {
         <?include("usermap.php");?>
         }
         else
         {   
         <?print $_SESSION['userchoice']?>
         }
         </div>

See the difference?

= assigns a value to a variable...

== checks to see if two values are equal

=== checks to see if two things are exactly the same value and type

in an if statement you are checking for equality and not assignation - use == not =

HTH

The reason that it printed the code was because you didn't enclose the if statement inside a php bracket which meant that it was taken as plain text.

You also used = instead of == when comparing and your brackets were all messed up.

Hi Waynewex

Thanks for the help but all I'm getting now is the usemap page when I select 'drink'. I don't get it if I select 'book' or 'food'. I have four buttons on my page labelled 'drink', 'food', 'book' and 'view'. If the user select book, food or drink, I want the usemap page to be included. If they select 'view' then I just want that word to appear. Any ideas?

<?php

if (($_SESSION['userchoice'] == 'order') || ($_SESSION['userchoice'] == 'book') || ($_SESSION['userchoice'] == 'drink'))

{

include("usermap.php");

}

else

{ 

print $_SESSION['userchoice'];

}

?>

Hi Waynewex

Thanks for the help but all I'm getting now is the usemap page when I select 'drink'. I don't get it if I select 'book' or 'food'. I have four buttons on my page labelled 'drink', 'food', 'book' and 'view'. If the user select book, food or drink, I want the usemap page to be included. If they select 'view' then I just want that word to appear. Any ideas?

Could you post the buttons?

thanks. Here's the code for my buttons

<form id="form1" method="post" action="userChoice.php">

<fieldset>

<BR><input id="inputsubmit1" type="submit" name="usechoice" value="food" />

<BR><input id="inputsubmit1" type="submit" name="usechoice" value="drink" />

<BR><input id="inputsubmit1" type="submit" name="usechoice" value="Book" />

<BR><input id="inputsubmit1" type="submit" name="usechoice" value="View" />

</fieldset>

</form>

<form id="form1" method="post" action="userChoice.php">

<fieldset>

<BR><input id="inputsubmit1" type="submit" name="usechoice" value="food" />

<BR><input id="inputsubmit1" type="submit" name="usechoice" value="drink" />

<BR><input id="inputsubmit1" type="submit" name="usechoice" value="book" />

<BR><input id="inputsubmit1" type="submit" name="usechoice" value="view" />

</fieldset>

</form>

Try that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.