Starting a New Business Project

bmboot

Hey Guys, Im new to this forum and was looking on some advice and how to start my new business Porject. The problem I dont know where to start with PHP. I need to develop a database driven website which holds a MySql database and uses php to carry out the request and queries. Whats the best software to use? I am using Dreamweaver CS3 to develop the site. Would I use MyPHPadmin to create the tables? I has also got PHP runner, is this a better software to use? I need a secure user login where the user has a profile and then can post adds onto a message board where other users can respond to, I cant give the full idea away as of yet. Could I carry this out using downloaded scripts or would I ned to write it all up fro scratch? Please Help?

Could I carry this out using downloaded scripts or would I ned to write it all up fro scratch?

While you might be able to build a site splicing together bits and pieces of code from off the net it is highly unlikely your going to be able to do that well without knowing php. Now, if you know php, you may aswell write it yourself as it will form a more coherent application.

Hey Thorpe, Thanks for the reply, but what would the right way to go about the issue. Would it be better to write it from scratch. And even if I sourced code from the effect, would it be as effective as doing it from scratch> I know from scratch would be more accurate and relevant right??

The thing Is I have read up on php and understand it. Its just a matter of applying it. Any guidelines you could possibly reccommend otherwise if it turns out to be difficult I will probably get the code outsourced?

if you do it from scratch you have less of a chance of major problems and script confliction. if you have DW CS3 you can get adobe toolbox which contains everything you need to build a dynamic site, minus the mysql side.

Is the Adobe Toolbox downloadable??

if you do it from scratch you have less of a chance of major problems and script confliction. if you have DW CS3 you can get adobe toolbox which contains everything you need to build a dynamic site, minus the mysql side.

If you want to build a serious site, doing it manually is the only way to go. I've seen the code that DW can produce and its not pretty nor efficient.

Do yourself a favor and hire someone to at least lay the foundation framework for you.  Have that person get things to just work.  The stuff that you listed is pretty common and should be on the cheaper side to contract out.

After you get something up and running, then you can add stuff yourself as you go.   I m not sure how much traffic you are expecting, but there's too much stuff to worry about just with security / performance that it makes it almost impossible to build a good functional site while you code PHP for the first time ( exception could be if you are already a programmer that's adapting to PHP, which doesn't seem like the case here ).

I would, if i was in your position, just leverage your time marketing strategies to build your traffic / revenue.  Programmers are easy to find for a reasonable rate on craigslist. 

My 2c.

If you want to build a serious site, doing it manually is the only way to go. I've seen the code that DW can produce and its not pretty nor efficient.

Of course.

Do yourself a favor and hire someone to at least lay the foundation framework for you.  Have that person get things to just work.  The stuff that you listed is pretty common and should be on the cheaper side to contract out.

After you get something up and running, then you can add stuff yourself as you go.   I m not sure how much traffic you are expecting, but there's too much stuff to worry about just with security / performance that it makes it almost impossible to build a good functional site while you code PHP for the first time ( exception could be if you are already a programmer that's adapting to PHP, which doesn't seem like the case here ).

I would, if i was in your position, just leverage your time marketing strategies to build your traffic / revenue.  Programmers are easy to find for a reasonable rate on craigslist. 

My 2c.

Thanks for the info, in that case I will just outsource the coding then, Im based in London so will need to find someone from here or abroad. Would be better to build the site first then work on layout or vice versa?

if you are just getting a programmer to create you the log in system they will probably give you all the relevant code before you create your layout. In other words you will be responsible for putting the look of the site together including there work...

I understand you say they will give me the code, than would it be better to just to get them to develop the whole site instead of me putting it together which I assume I could do if it were to get to that stage?

what ever works for you if you want to develop everything first before you design your site that do it that way.. usually i Design my site and the coding behind it at the same time but in separate files then if it was a log in system i would just include the relevant bits of code to make the pages function once everything was working and looking how i wanted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.