Getting no value inputs in database

prcollin

Ok same code different problem.  When i submit the form that corresponds to this code the auto number goes up and all zeros show up in the respective interger fields but no information is entered into the database other than the autonumber. 

<?php

include "clientconnect.php";
include "newclient.html";

mysql_select_db('greencut_customercenter', $con);

$client_id = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_id']);
$client_fname = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_fname']);
$client_lname = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_lname']);
$client_address = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_address']);
$client_city = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_city']);
$client_state = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_state']);
$client_zipcode = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_zipcode']);
$client_phone = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_phone']);
$client_cphone = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_cphone']);
$client_email = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_email']);
$client_website = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_website']);
$client_notes = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['client_notes']);

$sql = "insert into clients values ('$client_id', '$client_fname', '$client_lname', '$client_address', '$client_city', '$client_state', '$client_zipcode', '$client_phone', '$client_cphone', '$client_email', '$client_website', '$client_notes')";

if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
  {
  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
  }
echo "1 record added";
mysql_close($con);
?>

Might want to try something like this

$sql = "insert into clients (clientid) values ('$client_id'')";

make sure the field is listed than the value

Brett

getting an error that says "duplicate entry for key 2" no clue what that means

Remove the single quotes around your php variables!

Usually that'd be a good idea but not here. $sql is actually in double quotes which allow variables to be used inside them. Without the single quotes, $sql would look like:

$sql = "insert into clients values (1, Firstname, Lastname, etc....

Which would result in a mySQL error as the values need to be denoted by single quotes.

Just a style preference I have

values ('".$client_id."', '".$client_fname."'

I hate this sort of query using the "VALUE" syntax, especially if you modify the structure of your table and forget about queries written like this. SET is much more efficient as the order of fields makes no difference.

My code sinppets are not complete and wont work. They are just examples to get you on the right track.

If you have a duplicate key then get rid of the bad value and make sure that you definately have an auto incremental field for your primary key an no other uniques indexes on fields taht may product the error.

If there are values in your variables. I assume that you have tested this then this code will work (I have assumed the names of your database fields so make sure that you change them in the following SQL):

$sql = "INSERT INTO clients SET client_id='".$client_id."', client_fname='".$client_fname."', client_lname='".$client_lname."', client_address='".$client_address."', client_city='".$client_city."', client_state='".$client_state."', client_zipcode='".$client_zipcode."', client_phone='".$client_phone."', client_cphone='".$client_cphone."', client_email='".$client_email."', client_website='".$client_website."', client_notes='".$client_notes."')";

My code sinppets are not complete and wont work. They are just examples to get you on the right track.

If you have a duplicate key then get rid of the bad value and make sure that you definately have an auto incremental field for your primary key an no other uniques indexes on fields taht may product the error.

If there are values in your variables. I assume that you have tested this then this code will work (I have assumed the names of your database fields so make sure that you change them in the following SQL):

$sql = "INSERT INTO clients SET client_id='".$client_id."', client_fname='".$client_fname."', client_lname='".$client_lname."', client_address='".$client_address."', client_city='".$client_city."', client_state='".$client_state."', client_zipcode='".$client_zipcode."', client_phone='".$client_phone."', client_cphone='".$client_cphone."', client_email='".$client_email."', client_website='".$client_website."', client_notes='".$client_notes."')";

no matter how i change the format around, mess with the db it says duplicate entry for key 2

any ideas still?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.