<input type="text" name="student" /> <input type="submit" value="Go!" />
</form>

Students are stored in the table as "lastname, firstname"

The result of the query will show:

christian, bobby

christensen, jane

but NOT:

jones, chris

How can I tweak the form so that it will find EVERY instance of "chris", whether it appears at the beginning, middle, or end of the name?

Thank you.

~Wayne

well first off I would make a one-time-only script to pull the "names" out, separate the first from the last names, and store them in separate columns.  But anyways...

$name = "chris";
$sql = "SELECT studentnamecolumnhere FROM tablenamehere WHERE studentnamecolumnhere LIKE '%$name%'";

Thank you.

I don't understand something... $name has to be hard-coded as "chris"?

I attempted to simplify my form to make the question easier, but I see now that was a mistake.

I currently define $name as the value last passed the form, that way it will display the name the user just searched as the current value in the text field.

<?php
// If the form has been submitted...
if(isset($_GET['submit']))
{
// Set $name as the value of the name field in your form ($_GET just references the form)
$name = $_GET['name'];

}
?>
<form name="form" method="get">
<input type="text" name="name" value="<? echo $name; ?>" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search" />
</form>

How do I proceed from here?

Thanks again.

~Wayne

no, $name does not have to be hardcoded as chris. I was giving an example variable so I could show how it's used in the query string. You can do whatever you want to to assign something to $name.  

p.s.- You should be using method="post" in your form and $_POST['name'].  It's (more) secure.

Thank you.

Not sure where to implement it... this is still not working... no errors, but still behaving as before.

<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit']))
{
// Set $name as the value of the name field in your form ($_POST just references the form)
$name = $_POST['name'];

}

$name = $_POST['name'];
$sql = "SELECT studentnamecolumnhere FROM tablenamehere WHERE studentnamecolumnhere LIKE '%$name%'";

?>

<form name="form" method="post">
</form>

I'm defining $name twice, that can't be right?

~Wayne

<?php
{
// Set $name as the value of the name field in your form ($_POST just references the form)
             $name = $_POST['name'];

// Do your mysql query to check through the table

}

?>

<form name="form" method="post">
</form>

no, $name does not have to be hardcoded as chris. I was giving an example variable so I could show how it's used in the query string. You can do whatever you want to to assign something to $name.  

p.s.- You should be using method="post" in your form and $_POST['name'].  It's (more) secure.

Well, not necessarily more secure...just takes more than an idiot to tamper with.  But whatever. =P  Also, I'd personally do what Crayon Violent said originally and create a lastname and firstname column.  It's better because it creates much easier searches and such.

Thanks yet again...

I've changed the table values...

At the looking REALLY ignorant... I'm still missing something if I use mattall999's code, right?

<?php
{
             $name = $_POST['name'];
             $sql = "SELECT studentname FROM mytablename WHERE studentname LIKE '%$name%'";

}

?>

It's still behaving as before.  What might the query look like?

~Wayne

In other words, I'm still getting this:

index.php?name=chris

Rather than this:

index.php?name=%chris%

~Wayne

And you shouldn't be getting either one of those. That's the GET method. You've changed to the POST method.  So you shouldn't be getting any name='s in your url.  The %..% is added to your query string it's not passed from your form from any method.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.