Need direction with possibly having my own server

I have 2 computers that are a few years old and still work(but I got a new computer so they are not needed) so I was wondering if someone could direct me to a book or website that could assist me in making them into servers? I have verizon fios so I figure as long as I knew what I was doing(currently have no clue) then I could use the computers as servers

All you need do is install the relevent software and configure the machines appropriately. Id'e recommend using GNU/Linux as the OS (maybe Debain?). From there you can simply follow the securing debain howto (this is also relvent to any other distro), then install any other required software.

Of course, untill you have some experience I wouldn't recommend this as any type of production environment, but the learning process can be fun, and its well worth getting an understanding of how things fit together.

I have 2 computers that are a few years old and still work(but I got a new computer so they are not needed) so I was wondering if someone could direct me to a book or website that could assist me in making them into servers? I have verizon fios so I figure as long as I knew what I was doing(currently have no clue) then I could use the computers as servers

Even with Fios your not going to have static ips. You going to need to setup up a ip forward with like no-ip.com or one of the other forwarding sites. Also I recommend getting 2 routers, one for the server to sit on and then one for the rest of house to sit on. You dont want anyone getting into your files. Also make sure you have a pretty good software firewall setup before your bring it live.

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.