MySQL Fulltext search vs Zend's Lucene search

HGeneAnthony

I'm interested in implementing a fulltext search for my site and I'm trying to decide between 2 different ones.  First is MySQL's native fulltext search.  The perk is it's native and offers limits to results returned.  It's negatives is that it can't use innodb tables, doesn't offer half of the available functions of Lucene's search, and it doesn't tokenize a field so to get an accurate result if you have 30 keywords you need 30 fields.  I also hear it's slow for large results.  Then we have Lucene.  Lucene is part of the Zend framework and offers a standalone index.  The perks are it's fast and feature rich.  It also tokenizes fields.  It's negatives are that it (as far as I've seen) only returns full results not limits and that I need to maintain something else for my site when MySQL offers a native solution.  I'm wondering what opinions others have about this topic. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.