Book for PHP web 2.0 development

coolnfunky_raj

Hello there

I am relatively new to PHP and website building. I know the basics of PHP but I want to go further and learn to build a professional web 2.0 website. Can anyone suggest some books for it? I want a book that will teach me the good and bad design practices, how to use OOP in PHP, the three tier architecture and the role of PHP in the three tier architecture, how to use AJAX effectively with PHP and if possible design patterns and its implementations in PHP. It would be really nice if the book takes one website as an example and teaches with reference to this website throughout the book. I know I am expecting a lot for one book to cover, I can afford 2 or 3 books, each specializing in different topics.

thanks for your help

rAj

Thanks LemonInflux. But this online tutorial does not cover many of the topics I am interested in.

I came across these books,

1. Web Database Applications with PHP & MySQL by Hugh E. Williams, David Lane. Its O'Reilly publication. I browsed through the contents and found it talks a lot about how to use PHP to implement the various essential features in websites and discusses a case study too.

2. Building Scalable Web Sites: Building, scaling, and optimizing the next generation of web applications by Cal Henderson, also O'Rielly publication. This doesnt talk much about PHP in specific but talks more about how to build scalable websites.

3. Practical Web 2.0 Applications with PHP (Practical) by Quentin Zervaas. This book talks about how to implement various features in websites using the libraries, tools available online.

4. PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson. Many people have suggested this book in this forum previously but I was not able to take a look into the 4th edition.

Please give me your reviews about these books and suggest me more if you have found any.

Thanks for your help

rAj

I also want to mention that the buzz word "Web 2.0" does not really relate to backend coding(like PHP, MySQL, ASP, Ruby, etc...) but really the use of Javascript(Mainly Ajax) to create a much richer user interface.  If you want to get into that part of "Web 2.0" I would suggest looking at jQuery as it is very simple to learn and very flexible.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.