Managing multiple logons on a site

I am new to designing user logins for a site and I'm not sure how to proceed with regards browsing.  Basically I have my main domain that I want people to browse, thats not a problem.  Database functionality etc working without a problem.  However, when a user logs in should I then go to a subdomain for example users.mydomain.co.uk or stick to the main domain (www.mydomain.co.uk)?  What is best practice?  I only have one SSL certificate.  Any articles people could recommend would also be appreciated.

www.play.com use their main domain for people to browse and then when you login they use their main domain again for logins etc.  How do they do this?

Just use one domain. I don't see the point in creating a separate subdomain for logins.

www.play.com use their main domain for people to browse and then when you login they use their main domain again for logins etc. How do they do this?

I don't get it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.