JavaScript Resources

unkwntech

best way to learn it is by just trying out some javascript tutorials which involve javascript DOM and Ajax. avoiding the frameworks for learning purposes would be a good idea but once you get the hang of it useing a framework would be a good idea to safe your self a lot of time and frusteration.

for example typing

$('content_div')

//instead of
document.getElementById('content_div');

//or even better

//ajax action
$('ajax_content').load('ajax_call.php');

really makes things a lot easier

@cleary - I'll definitely look at it.

@Dj Kat - I've got most of the DOM stuff down, It's more the more advanced stuff that I am looking to learn.  And I defiantly agree about the framework, however I don't like to be dependent on other peoples code, which is why even in PHP I refuse to use the frameworks.

@cleary - I'll definitely look at it.

@Dj Kat - I've got most of the DOM stuff down, It's more the more advanced stuff that I am looking to learn.  And I defiantly agree about the framework, however I don't like to be dependent on other peoples code, which is why even in PHP I refuse to use the frameworks.

I used to feel the same way.  There's no real logical reason for that general feeling, though.  In fact, there's a term for it -- Not Invented Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Invented_Here).

Frameworks/libraries exist so you can be more productive.  Why reinvent the wheel when someone else already has developed efficient, flexable code that can handle the low-level stuff?  Regarding JavaScript, jQuery(http://docs.jquery.com/Main_Page) is an example of a framework done right.  It's lightweight, powerful, and makes coding a lot easier.

Now, this isn't to say that 'rolling your own' would be a useless endeavor.  Even if your own framework isn't as efficient as one of the professional ones, what you learn in creating one is invaluable.  Similarly, there are plenty of 3rd party libraries that aren't so hot, so you shouldn't assume that all 3rd party code is wonderful.  Still, with that said, you won't lose street cred if you decide to use jQuery, or Prototype, or any of the other good ones.

other then that using frameworks makes your javascript code a lot cleaner and programming OO looks more like you would in php. Strange i havent used any php framework yet I'm still debating about using either Zend or cakePHP . but thats offtopic from this. back to your topic what would you concider advanced javascript?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.