will java and xml do for a ....

Orionsbelter

hi am wanting to make a game, i've already made a php text based game now i want to go on to a 3d game like runescape just a different concept. i bought a for dummies book called java and xml all i want to know is is this the book i need to learn coding to make a game or the basics for a game like runescape?

java and javascript are totally not the same. Java is a programming language and javascript is a scripting language that usually only runs in browsers.

Ā 

you could build a game using javascript but I dont think thats what you are looking for. as for game engines

wikipedia and google would help on that

Ā 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

Ā 

games are not build from scratch these days. If you would check out game details on gamereview sites it usually always has info on what engine it runs on.

For example gears of war runs on the unreal 3 engine. crysis runs on the cryengine2

Ā 

you can download a couple of free game engines for example disney has build their toontown game on a opensource game engine named panda3d. the engine is written in c++ and the game uses python for game builders.

Ā 

oh and btw this topic should be moved to "Other Languages"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.