[SOLVED] Why is error code being returned

tjverge

$query = "INSERT INTO members (id, fname, lname, uname, password, email, address, city, country, date, ip) VALUES ('', $fname, $lname, $username, $password, $email, $address, $city, $country, $date, $ip)";
mysql_query($query) or die('Error, not able to add new members at this time');

$query = "FLUSH PRIVILEGES";
mysql_query($query) or die('Error, insert query failed');

echo "New member added welcome ",$fname;

The above code should be inserting the data into my database, but it is returning the error instade, any ideas? Thank you

why are you doing this ?

$query = "FLUSH PRIVILEGES";
mysql_query($query) or die('Error, insert query failed');

does the account have access to do it.. why do you need it ?

I remove this part of the code as I don't need it, still having the same problem.

As cooldude832 requested, copy and paste what this outputs:

$query = "INSERT INTO members (id, fname, lname, uname, password, email, address, city, country, date, ip) VALUES ('', $fname, $lname, $username, $password, $email, $address, $city, $country, $date, $ip)";
mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error()."<br /><br />\n\n".$query);

yeah we need some more details but try this

change

to

$query = "INSERT INTO members (id, fname, lname, uname, password, email, address, city, country, date, ip) VALUES ('', '$fname', '$lname', '$username', '$password', '$email', '$address', '$city', '$country', '$date', '$ip')";

As cooldude832 requested, copy and paste what this outputs:

Field 'phone' doesn't have a default value

INSERT INTO members (id, fname, lname, uname, password, email, address, city, country, date, ip) VALUES ('', 'TJ', 'Verge', '', 'password', 'x@x.com', 'x Sr', 'New York', 'USA', 'Y/m/d', '127.0.0.1')

This is what the code in question looks like now.

$query = "INSERT INTO members (id, fname, lname, uname, password, email, address, city, country, date, ip) VALUES ('', '$fname', '$lname', '$username', '$password', '$email', '$address', '$city', '$country', '$date', '$ip')";

exactly as it says you can not do an insert query without defining the field "phone" because it has no default value

To fix this give the field phone a default value or make the query be

$query = "INSERT INTO members (id, fname, lname, uname, password, email, address, city, country, date, ip,phone) VALUES ('', $fname, $lname, $username, $password, $email, $address, $city, $country, $date, $ip,'')";

The mysql_error() is a great clue to why queries fail and adding the echoing out of the query after 2 breaklines lets you easily see the query with all the php variables applied to it.

I may be wrong, but I think that's due to the fact you have the phone field set as NOT NULL: YES

If you try to insert data into the row, and not give the phone field a value, it'll look for the default.  If there is no default set, but you say it has to have a value, then you'll get an error.  Let me know if this is not the case or if I'm just completely off.

edit:  or what cooldude said.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.