mail function questions for large amouont of emails

tryingtolearn

I have been reading the mail() function

and am a bit worried about this note

Note: It is worth noting that the mail() function is not suitable for larger volumes of email in a loop. This function opens and closes an SMTP socket for each email, which is not very efficient.

For the sending of large amounts of email, see the » PEAR::Mail, and » PEAR::Mail_Queue packages.

What is considered a larger volumes?

I have a list of about 10,000 customers in a file that I need to periodically send mail to.

To me, that sounds like a large volume

Is that something that the PEAR::MAIL would be better for?

If so, is there anything I have to check for in order to use it?

Or anything that gives a step by step on setting it up?

Like what do I download

The whole package?

Does it all get uploaded??

Thanks for any input

does your hosting company offer mailing list?

Its a very easy solution and a lot of em can be integrated into php so you can seamlessly add/delete members server side and send mail.

You run the risk of being labeled a spammer by the big boys (msn/hotmail/aol) if you send a ton of server side mail and it ends up in spam boxes

Mailing list are interpreted as mailing list and are usually not labeled as server wide spam (blacklisted)

Thanks for the quick response.

cooldude832

I will check w/ the hosting if they offer that.

When they offer something like that - are you saying it is configurable (sp?) so I could have people unsubscribe etc...

Blade280891

Do you run the risk that cooldude was talking about

Being labled a spammer w/ phpmailer

When i have mass mailed using PHP mailer, it has never been put in the junk folder or anything similar

Send me a message I will put it in spam.  Let 5000 of my friends do it and you will be blacklisted from aol.

The mailing-list have special privileges that get them around spam filters because they are listed as mailing list and the address sort acts like an adminsitrator and allows users to join/leave the group.  It takes probably 10-1000 times more spam markings from a mailing list than a regular mailing address to get blacklisted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.