[SOLVED] :( still having trouble finding resources to learn PHP

silverglade

:(  hi, i read the for dummies book on PHP and it was good until it got about halfway, about forms, then it got horrible to the end, useless. I went to w3schools tutorial on forms and it was only one page, a simple input and output. im looking for a good thorough and understandable book on PHP if anyone knows one, or several. Im also looking for a website, sites, other than php.net, that i can learn PHP from beginner to advanced. all the links in my book are dead. any help greatly appreciated. im sorry im asking this again, but im desperate. i dont know why i cant just read some books like some other subject, practice it, and graduate. it is like the info is scattered in little snippets all over the web and i cant find a place to learn PHP. the manual isnt for beginners either. any help is immensely appreciated. derek :( :( :( :(

My learning process for languages has been like this.

Find a need, why am I learning it? Make up some test projects to complete.

Ie. for php, create a news posting system, user registration, etc etc,things like that

Then when you get stuck along the way you can look things up online

If you finish the test project you can refine it, find ways to do things better

Once upon a time I made a post just like yours, I never did end up buying any books and now using those methods I came out ok :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.