Thoughts on a CMS

cooldude832

I'm finally getting all the good and bads back from running my CMS in alpha testing and I've came to a conclusion that I want to be able to write custom functions through the CMS that all me to edit the CMS it self.

Here is how it would install/work

CMS comes to you with 5 files

1. MySQL Dump

2. Cpanel.php (Manger of CMS)

3. Index.php (live site viewer .htacces mods rewites urls to filter through here)

4/5. Dependency files (constants,functions)

User runs SQL dumps updates constants.php to reflect SQL config goes to C-Panel and logs in as default user

Once in there the user has the ability to Login/Logout/Add a Page/Edit a Page/Delete a Page/Add a function/Update a function

User says that's great now I want to make a custom function to add news items to my news table that is synced to my home page

So they click add function write the functionality of it (1 part of it displays stuff in the cpanel.php the other processes it via POST)

Now User 2 loads my CMS on their server (new server) and say's hey user 1 can I have your news function, in return I'll give you this script to manage photo uploads.

They trade the MySQL rows for the functions and the table dumps needed and then they both have the functions.

Questions are this?

Does this sound like a reasonable system for a high end programer (someone who holds themselves above dupal/wordpress etc.) who wants full access to php at all times but still wrapped in a CMS system that a simple level user could use (You can give permission to use certain functions so a basic blogger could only have the ability to update a blog for say and not edit functions)

Secondly from a MySQL standpoint is loading 99.9% of the site into mysql a bad idea?  The only raw php is 2 classes.  1 class that is used to load pages via the .htacess mod and the second that runs the Cpanel.php  The rest of the php is ran through eval() in index class or cpanel class.

I've ran the eval via the index class on a live site getting 5-10k hits a month with out any issues so far.  (tables stay well optimized)

The only tricky part i've found so far is that the dynamic function editor requires that you use flash to control the user's text because I can not put the html tag </textarea> inside a textarea.  But using flash allows me to pretty print in there access the tab key add ajax updates etc which I think is a big bonus.

I'm working on releasing beta along with a complete php help site in about 2 weeks.  I had a small issue with an updater function that needed to be converted into flash because I couldn't use html tags how I wanted.

I also beefed up some functionality.

2-3 weeks it will be live I promise

I actually made a final decision and all files stored in php including content are now completely Blob.  All content type areas will have some sort of full texting without tags to assist in searching the site internally.

This removed all the frustration of handling textarea and eval of functions.

There will be about 25 prebuilt functions in the user's cpanel that are required operational functions. 

There will be about 2-5 example custom functions to see how you can build your own. 

Only 1 custom will be included in the install the other 4 will be free to download from the site and install using the install function system.

Like I said this will be beta live in about 2 weeks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.