what you think?

ohdang888

I don't think the term hacker should be used for those people.  (If you look at what the term hacker originally meant, then yes, it could describe them, but please, no one be like that.)

"The issue is that users building their own customized applications, and distributing them through Google, might have evil intentions and try to exploit those programs once they're installed on users' pages. Many users are inclined to inherently trust what they download from Google."

Just like they said, maybe people shouldn't trust stuff so willingly.

But, it is kind of interesting.  If I were Google (or a person working at Google, since I Couldn't technically be Google), I wouldn't be very happy.

Firstly, I find it incredible that google (or, indeed, facebook) didn't think that this kind of thing would be a target for malcious users. Did they seriously not stop to think that opening up their site to other people's content in this way might be a security risk?

That said, im not going to be losing any sleep over it. I highly doubt any decent gadget would be malicious. And given that i'm not going to be adding any crappy ones and that the gadgets are rated, I don't see it being too much of a problem.

On the otherhand, it's been shown that facebook is a touch more vulnerable. Applications that can grab my details just because a friend was naive enough to add it? Not good.

Lastly, this kind of thing is still relatively new. It's natural for flaws and security problems to be found in new ideas. Given the model that the big sites are working with (i.e., anybody can submit gadgets/applications) it would not be possible for the site to check everything that's submitted. As long as there aren't gaping security holes all over the place, I think the chance of the odd bad egg is worth paying for the much richer and customisable experience.

On the otherhand, it's been shown that facebook is a touch more vulnerable. Applications that can grab my details just because a friend was naive enough to add it? Not good.

don't you have to add the app inorder for it to receive any other information than name, picture and status, which can be viewed by everyone anyway?

don't you have to add the app inorder for it to receive any other information than name, picture and status, which can be viewed by everyone anyway?

Unfortunately not. It's been demonstrated that applications may be able to grab more personal information that you've elected to show.

Edit: I spose i should back up my point. See this article

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.