Installing PECL Expect Module

Hello,

I am running PHP 5.2.6 on a Fedora Core 8 server.  The PHP comes from the php-5.2.6-2.fc8 RPM.  As the Expect module is a PECL extension, I installed it with:

pecl install expect

This created the library:

/usr/lib/php/modules/expect.so

Within the default Fedora 8 /etc/php.ini file, is:

extension_dir = "/usr/lib/php/modules"

So, this module should load, but doesn't.  When I run "php -m" all modules within that directory, expect for expect.so are loaded dynamically.  I'm at a loss.  I did notice that the pecl install drops the .so file as 0644, instead of 0755.. however changing the permissions had no effect.  Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

I'm unsure if this has anything to do with the issue, but noticed that the PECL Expect installation compiles the library as not stripped, whereas all other shared objects in /usr/lib/php/modules, that were installed from RPM's are stripped:

[user@server modules]$ file expect.so
expect.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

I figured this one out; sorry for the continual replies to myself.  Apparently the extension_dir directive in php.ini does not actually load the modules contained within but just points to the place where they can be found.  I had to put:

extension="expect.so"

in /etc/php.ini underneath extension_dir.  Then, after restarted Apache the module is loaded and all works fine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.