mac vs. PC vs. Linux

Derleek

Do you use a mac, PC or Linux to code?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a mac, PC or Linux to code?

• PC
    • Mac
    • Linux
    • other? (maybe... lol)

Just curious if any one else is developing on a mac, like myself.

I recently received a macbook pro in a business deal and naturally started using it... for coding ;)

I was skeptical about switching to mac for coding purposes, first of all the IDE i was used to wasn't compatible. second, i wasn't sure if i would run into an development issue's.

Another quick question:

Are there any big problems with developing on a mac?

if so, how major?

Are there any big problems with developing on a mac?

if so, how major?

AFAIK, there aren't any issues at all with developing on a mac. Most windows applications have a mac version and if they don't you can use basecamp or wine.  IMHO, textmate is one the best IDEs on the market.

With that said, I currently do 99% of my development under debain etch.

I use a PC but used to use my Macbook when I had it. I didn't mind it but I learned quickly that TextEdit sucks for doing stuff. You have to switch it to plain text and then save it as an HTML file, otherwise it assumes that index.html is index.html.rtf. I'm sure there was a way to disable that but I just downloaded HTMLHotdog or something like that. I meant to learn how to use Cocoa and Carbon in the Developer kit as well but never got around to it before I broke the screen. Poor Macbook :(:P

yeah, textMate rocks my world!! i've heard a lot about coda too, it seems more feature rich.

I was using aptana but it got all buggy with me so i ditched it.

Usin' Coda for PHP

textMate -> RoR

Both amazing editors, that being said, all on mac. couldn't imagine it any other way.

Haven't run into any errors really worth mentioning

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.