Complex text search help

BigEezy

Hi Everyone

New to this board, and it looks like you have a great bunch of knowledgeable people.

I am a MySQL newbie, and was wondering if somebody could tell me the fastest method to do a text search through a table where the order of the words in the search term does not matter.

For example ... if the search term is 'big green widgets' I want to find all rows in the table containing all those words in any order.

'big green widgets for big blue things' , 'big blue things with green widgets' , 'widgets are big and green' are all examples of positive hits.

'green widgets are expensive' would not be a positive hit as it does not contain the word 'big'.

Many thanks for your time.

Alan

Hi Fenway

Thanks for the reply. I have read up a little on the full text indexing the last couple of days but it appears to have a few drawbacks. I saw mention that it does not find words if they appear in more than about 50% of the records, and also that there are a list of "stop words" that dont get searched for at all.

In my case its possible that plenty of the records will contain the same keyword, so I couldn't have the indexing system ignoring them.

What I have read may of course be crud, or I may even be completely misunderstanding with my limited knowledge ... if so, then I need to look at this full text search again.

Best regards

Alan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.