php filter functions for url validation

rubing

I need to validate a URL coming from a form (method=post),  so I am using the following code:

$validurl=filter_input(INPUT_POST,'website', FILTER_VALIDATE_URL);

if ($validurl ===FALSE)
		{
			throw new InvalidInputException();
		}

It doesn't do as good of a job as I'd expect.  (i know, i know, i could use pear RFC validation, blah blah blah...), If I pass in something like xkjvi://mymamma.comlhj , it is accepted without a problem.  

the documenation says that the following optional flags:  

FILTER_FLAG_PATH_REQUIRED & FILTER_FLAG_QUERY_REQUIRED

,but im not sure what they do or how i would set them, since the manual just says:

Associative array of options or bitwise disjunction of flags. If filter accepts options, flags can be provided in "flags" field of array.

And I have no idea what that means

i'm not trying to hack my way to a solution.  I am trying to learn something about coding php and taking advantage of its built-in functions.

Maybe, I'm not doing something right, maybe there's something that can be done with the optional flags.  I don't ven know what there there for or how to set them.  I find that gap in my knowledge disturbing and so am asking for help.

now, i just found out that the Validate url filter is no different than the parse_url function.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.