MySQL Tables

elmas156

Yes there is a limit, but it depends on the OS running the database and the table types.  If you create InnoDB you can usually create many more tables than say MyISAM.

MySQL will keep creating tables in either case, but you will soon run into trouble from the OS and the amount of file handles, which does have a finite limit.

On the contrary, InnoDB is more or less 3x larger than MyISAM. Use InnoDB whenever you have lots of writes and transactional operations. Also, MyISAM runs faster for read compared to InnoDB.

Going back to your question, I don't think it is something you should worry about. Most of the case, you will create different databases for different purposes and just cross-reference with it whenever necessary.

On the contrary, InnoDB is more or less 3x larger than MyISAM.

Thing is, MyIsam stores each table in separatae file, which may be a problem with some filesystems. On the other hand, it's easy with MyISAM to spread tables over several folders/partitions.

Also, MyISAM runs faster for read compared to InnoDB.

A post I've read recently on MySQL Perofrmance Blog shows something different. Although I agree that syntetic benchmark like the one used doesn't catch all nuisances of real production environment. Nevertheless I recommend reading it.

A post I've read recently on MySQL Perofrmance Blog shows something different.

Yeah... I have read it before. I don't think it's always true. We have tried changing some tables to InnoDB and realyl became slower with its size to have grown dramatically, of course we are aware that might happen but it is something necessary because of transactional operations. Anyway, I do not know if they converted it back after their checks (am only in the background).

It may different to anyone though, so you try and apply which ever applies best for you. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.