Why is it recommended to use em instead of px?

Goldeneye

Yeah, this is a really simple question. I've been doing CSS for quite a long time now and recently realized the (now) archaic ways of code.

So in my stylesheets, I've used pixels as my preferred measurement since I first got into CSS. So what makes em better than using px? Should I change all of my measurements to em? I've heard some people recommend the em measurement in place of px.

There isn't an absolute to this. In some situations ems are better, and in some situations, pixels are better. Ems are dynamic, so if you increase your text size then anything sized in ems will also expand. Pixels are fixed so they will stay the same regardless of text size. I prefer pixels for margins and padding, as they usually don't need to increase in size as the text size increases.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.