[SOLVED] Syntax errors driving crazy

maestrog

I have echoed all the field names to make sure they show properly. Let me know if you would like more..I only included this part of switch. I am trying to write nfl picks to database.Thanks for help.

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '1 = REDSKINS WHERE id = '1' LIMIT 1' at line 1

<?php 
case "do_update":
$p_name = $_POST['p_name'];
$player = "player";
	$entry = "INSERT INTO $player (name) VALUES ('$p_name')";
	if ($_POST['p_name']) {
	$result = mysql_query($entry, $link) or die (mysql_error());	
    }
	$pick = $_POST["yo$w$j"];
	$query2="SELECT * FROM $player WHERE name ='$p_name'";		
	$pid = mysql_query($query2, $link) or die (mysql_error());
	$look = mysql_fetch_array($pid, MYSQL_ASSOC);
	$myid = $look[id];
	/*$entered = "UPDATE $player SET gm1 1 = 'Giants' WHERE id ='10' LIMIT 1" ;			
        $entered = "UPDATE $player SET gm1 1 = $pick WHERE id = '$myid'";//$p_name
	$result = mysql_query($entered, $link) or die (mysql_error());*/			 
 	for ($w = 1; $w < 18; ++$w){
	$p_name = $_POST['p_name'];
	$weekly = "week_$w";		
	echo "<html><head><title>Update scores</title><meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=iso-8859-1'>"
          	."<LINK media=screen href='includes/format.css' type=text/css rel=stylesheet></head><body>"
	  	."<table width='646' border='1'><tr><td colspan='6' class=killer>Update Weekly Scores for $weekly for $p_name</td></tr>";

$query1="SELECT * FROM $weekly";
	$result = mysql_query($query1, $link);	
	$num=mysql_num_rows($result);
	$numb = $num + 1;
	for ($j = 1; $j < $numb; ++$j) {
	$enter = "gm$w $j";
	$player = "player";
	$pick = $_POST["yo$w$j"];
	$entered = "UPDATE $player SET $enter = $pick WHERE id = '$myid' LIMIT 1";//help me..i am causing errors here!
	$result = mysql_query($entered, $link) or die (mysql_error());
	$game = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC) or die (mysql_error());		
	$id = $game[id];

echo "<html><head><LINK media=screen href='includes/format.css' type=text/css rel=stylesheet></head><body><table width='350'border='1'>"
	 ."<tr><td class=nice  height='20'width='94'>$pick</td><td class=nice width='40'>$enter</td>"
	 ."<td class=nice width='94'></td><td class=nice width='40'></td></tr>"
     ."</table></body></html>";
	}
 }		
	break;
}
?>

Thanx, but no help yet. The space was so that variable would show up. Variables cannot start with an integer so I put gm first. Then $w$j would not show up unless I put something in the middle. I am looping through weekly picks with the $w and 16 game picks with the $j. I read in an mysql site that spaces are ok. I also know about the quotes. I tried quoting everything and anything. I am sure that the problem is in the game pick variable which is seen as an integer or something. I'm tellin ya, I'm ready for major drugs here. Should I attach the whole folder of files? Any more ideas are appreciated.

Thanx, but no help yet. The space was so that variable would show up.

Huh?

I'm talking about:

/*$entered = "UPDATE $player SET gm1 1 = 'Giants' WHERE id ='10' LIMIT 1" ;			
        $entered = "UPDATE $player SET gm1 1 = $pick WHERE id = '$myid'";//$p_name
	$result = mysql_query($entered, $link) or die (mysql_error());*/		[code]

[/code]

That was a test...thats why it is commented out. I tried to update with manual values without the loop. It produced that same error. I now have gm$w-$j for the $enter value. I cannot even think of another way to do it. I usually work around problems, but this is a bugger.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.