Problems with the server Response Format

phpknight

Hi,

I have figured out that AJAX can send the response back as XML or just text.  I was having some issues until I realized that it would be easier to get the responseText and put it in the DIV.  Unfortunately, it appears that the responseText is not exactly what I send back, rather it is what I send with everything encoded for HTML special characters!  So, the source code just appears right on the page instead of what I want.  How do I get around this?

Here is the solution I have found.  Somebody please let me know if I should be doing something else.  The books I have do not cover any responses except xml.  Instead of xml, I sent this as the header: header('Content-Type: text/html');

Then, it works great.  Is there any reason I might not want to do it this way?

Right, that is what I want.  The problem was when I was using the example from the book, it sent xml headers.  So, when I tried to get the responseText property, it was giving me the code with all the tags written out as special characters, so then the actual source code showed up on the page--like <div>...</div> instead of a box.  I'm not sure why it was converting all the characters, though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.