How to open excel sheet in browser using php

garrisonian14

Hi Friends,

All of you may have seen on websites that we click on a link and it opens pdf document in browser. I want to do same thing but for excel documents. i want to implement it for excel documents i.e. if a user clicks on a link it opens an excel sheet in same browser window.

i tried <a href="test.xls">My sheet</a>. it worked in I.E 7. but it doesn't work in firefox and I.E 6.

Please help me for this implementation. It is very urgent.

Thanks,

Ali

Having a link which points to an excel file, will prompt the user to download it or open it up with Excel. I'm sure you can find libraries (like this one i found google-ing) and extensions for dealing with excel files, letting you read or write them. By reading, I mean having a nice presentation of the excel file with html tables. I'm sorry, but i don't know of any other way.

other than that you could open the excell file and save it as an HTML page

That should be quite a manual work. I'm still of the opinion that the best approach on this is reading the excel file (with any php libraries or extensions) and generating an html table.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.