[SOLVED] Selecting records that are referenced in 2nd table, but not the exact reference.

justravis

The solution is probably related to these posts, but my problem is slightly different:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,113742.0.html

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,214586.0.html

QUESTION

id    name

1    Who is...

2.  What is...

QUEST-FORM

id    form_id  quest_id

1    1          1

2    2          2

How do I find the question NOT linked to form 1, which is question 2?

Here are the queries I have tried without success?

SELECT question.id, question.name FROM question, `quest-form` WHERE `quest-form`.form_id=1 AND question.id!=`quest-form`.quest_id

SELECT question.id, question.name FROM question LEFT JOIN `quest-form` ON question.id=`quest-form`.quest_id WHERE `quest-form`.quest_id IS NULL AND `quest-form`.form_id=1

select question.id, question.name from question left join `quest-form` using (`quest-form`.quest_id) where `quest-form`.form_id=1 AND `quest-form`.quest_id IS NULL

MySQL client version: 4.1.22

THANK YOU!

u r a god!  i hereby offer u my first born!

No problem... glad you got it working.  Basically, all the left join-ed fields are NULLed out on non-matches, so adding a condition to the where clause will always evaluate to false -- the join condition is evaluated *before* the NULLing out (necessarily, because otherwise it couldn't find them!).

Here are the solutions posted in the threads I mentioned above:

DELETE genres FROM genres LEFT JOIN movie_genres ON genres.genre_id = movie_genres.genre_id WHERE movie_genres.genre_id IS NULL

select s.* from staff as s left join depts as d using ( staffID ) where d.staffID IS NULL

I'm confused.  What is the difference between "ON table1.pri_key=table2.for_key" & "USING(foreign_key)"?

THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to find events that MAY (or may not) be linked to a seeker in event-seeker, but not seeker 1

this sql statement stopped working:

SELECT event.id, title, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(start) AS start, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(reg_end) AS reg_end FROM event LEFT JOIN `event-skr` ON (event.id=`event-skr`.event_id AND `event-skr`.skr_id=1) WHERE `event-skr`.event_id IS NULL AND  event.coor_id=1 AND event.id!='0' AND event.dmd=1 AND public=1 AND CURRENT_DATE() > event.reg_start AND CURRENT_DATE() < event.reg_end ORDER BY event.reg_end

no errors, just 0 results when entered into phpmyadmin.

i did accidently delete the event-skr table and i dont recall if it stopped working immediately afterwards...the foreign key types match thier primary key counterpart.

can u think of any pitfalls i could hav ran into when recreating the table?

THANKS!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.