Complex find and replace

drisate

Hey guys. I have a client that would like me to create a code that would replace a tag by a module in his emails

Ex: [JOB=10]

Would output the last 10 posted jobs. If the tag was a simple [JOB] I would just search it and replace it ... but the problem is not only i have to find it, but I have to extract the unknown value, use it to create a replace output, then replace the unknown string by the replace output ...

Help! Lol

I'm not going to write the whole code for you now, but you could use regex to find the tags. With the results of that tag, split in to tag (ex. "JOB", "other tags" ), and value. What you would then do is create a switch statement for the tag value. Then you make a function for example getJobs( $amount ), whereas $amount would be the value extracted with regex. Then you would do like this:

$replace = getJobs( $amount );

And replace the tag by $replace. Hope you can work with this information.

<?php
function getJobs($limit=NULL) {
  $query = "SELECT * FROM jobs";
  if ($limit != null) {
        $query .= " LIMIT $limit";
  }
 $res = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
 while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($res)) {
         $jobs[] = $row['name'];
 }
 return implode('<br />', $jobs);
}

$str = "Here's some of our latest jobs:
[JOB=10]";
$newstr = preg_replace('/\[JOB(=([0-9]+))?\]/ie', "getJobs($2)", $str);

Obviously use the correct query and column names.

EDIT: Lol, I had the function named getJobs() before QuietWhistler posted (I was writing this code).  Funny. :D  Anyway, it should work like this, anything else would probably over-complicate it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.