[SOLVED] Member function on a non-object within a function! ($this-> syntax)

Dale_G

Hello everyone, right so I am including an external file as such...

require( 'members.php' );

And I've confirmed it works, using this syntax everything is fine.

echo $members->show('all');

It shows all of the members, it does what it is supposed to do. However, when I throw it into a function and attempt to call the function, as shown below...

function show_members()
{
}

show_members();

It does not work and throws a "Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object" error, and I know why. I can remedy this problem by adding "global $members;" to the function, like this.

function show_members()
{
    global $members;

}

So now, the completed working file is shown below.

require( 'members.php' );

function show_members()
{
    global $members;

}

show_members();

And that's fine. However as I develop this project there will be MANY choices that require different calls to different functions, so I will be making over 30 functions similar to show_members(), that call different functions under the $members class.

Basically, what I'm wondering is if there is a way to "globally" declare the $members class. So I don't have to type "global $members;" in each function...as that can get rather bothersome the more functions I add.

Also, I will probably throw this into a class later on, so if there is a way to globally declare it for the class, that would be awesome. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.