Help with profile site?? I need of serious help

coldfiretech

Okay this might be a little far fetched and whatnot but here is what i am trying to do..

I am trying to build a profile site, like myspace i guess but not really.. A user and only enter and modify their information.. They arent allowed to look at anyone else's profile..  The use of the website is really just as a place where the user can enter their information into the database.

I have a backend application written in visual basic that communicates and retrieves the necessary data.

Okay so back to the website. I am trying to make 3 different types, single, partner and family..

Single is for a single person obviously, they can enter in information only about themself.

Ive got that part down.. Here is where i need help or to even know if this can be done.

Now, the partner and family.  When registering, they only get one login name, and the profile can have subprofiles.  I want for instance when someone registers with the partner plan it will register their info and create another row in the database that contains the same login but a different id. that way the main user and can login to the website and enter information about themselfs and their partner and they will still be connected by the login name but different id numbers. 

The reason i am trying to do the subprofile idea is because i want for instance on the family plan, lets say a single mother could login and enter her info and all 3 of her childrens info.. but the children dont have their own login names . 

Thanks guys for reading this post...  Any help, direction, insight, anything on this matter would be greatly appreciated.. I am also willing to pay for help!  Please let me know!!

I hope that makes sense, if not i will do my best to explain better what is needed... 

-Matt

Ok, let's deconstruct this as your post is long. You just want someone to have the option to add other "users", but those users won't be able to login. I'm thinking about a database table like this:

id => the unique id of the user

username => the username they will use to login

password => the password they will use to login

full_name => their full name

type => [single][partner][family]

parent => the id of the partner/parent. If 0, the user doesn't have any parents

Basically you specify the relationship of the users with the parent field. A real world example should look like this:

1 | john_smith | 123456 | John Smith | single | 0

2 | will_smith | 12345 | Will Smith | family | 0

3 | alan smith | 44345 | Alan Smith | family 2

The guy (alan smith) who has the "parent" field set to 2, is known as the child of Will Smith. Will can login into his profile and change the profile information of any of his children, without the need of logging in specifically (as you designed your system initially). This way it's less confusing and easier to manage. While, you can make it so that users with a parent field not equal to 0, cant login, meaning that children/partners can't login.

Hope it makes sense.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.